Date: 3rd August 2010 at 10:46pm
Written by:

A very inexperienced Scunthorpe side were able to crawl over the line against a fairly strong, and dominating Grimsby Town side this evening.

The early 6.45 kick-off was doing to the yet to be restored floodlights, and the small crowd witnessed Lee Ridley hitting the bar, a claret & blue celebration: and be back in bed by 9.

Despite making 11 changes: the Iron were still able to win the Lincolnshire Cup for a 4th consecutive year, winning 4-3 on penalties: despite having taken a penalty less than their rivals.

The Iron started with a 4-3-3 which saw Sam Slocombe in goal.

A back four of Rory Coleman, Niall Canavan, Ashley Palmer and trialist Rory McClenehan.

The midfield three was Michael Collins, captain for the day Andrew Wright and Ashley Palmer.

Up front for the Iron then were Adam Boyes, Matt Godden and Bobby Grant.

Then on the bench for the Iron were Corner, Jake Turner, Aron Wint, Jordan Thewlis, Greenhoff.

Grimsby started with Nick Colgan in goal, Lee Ridley, Samuels, Leary, Kempson, Michael Coulson, Connell, Eagle, Steven Watt, Peter Bore and Hudson.

On the bench for Neil Woods’ Mariners were Cummmins, Dixon, Garner, Wood, Corner.

Despite the 90 minutes lacking entertainment, the Iron did take the lead early.

After just three minutes, the Iron break very quickly down the left, the cross is floated in: and BOYES moved well, got free of his marker and directed his header in well.

And the 997 Iron fans present in the ground were no doubt jumping for joy at the early goal.

They were however brought back to earth very quickly because just a few minutes later, Grimsby equalised. And unsurprisingly: the very sizeable 873-strong following they’d brought were delighted by the equaliser against Scunthorpe’s de-facto reserve side.

Just ten minutes in: Peter Bore does really well to bomb up the right hand side, and wins a corner after his cross was blocked. The resulting corner was floated in and Rob EAGLE made the run to the near post and lashed it in.

And if anyone had come in 10 minutes late, they were going to be sorely dissapointed because they were the only two of all of normal time, in a game that the Mariners generally dominated and Scunthorpe were extremely average.

Despite dictating the ball well: it was another 10 minutes before Grimsby had another chance.

Michael Collins was caught in possesion, Alan Connell raced through: but one-on-one on the edge of the area, could only curl his effort wide.

There were very chances of any note: and it took till there were only 7 minutes of the first half left till the Iron troubled Colgan.

And even then, it was a half-chance after a free-kick was layed off- and then from 30 yards: Grant could only make Colgan make a comfortable save.

The last 5 minutes or so of the half, left the Iron dominating.

Grant could only cut inside from the flank and his swerving effort was well saved by Colgan.

And in stoppage time the Liverpudlian frontman could only be denied by the ex-Barnsley stopper again: then following up, ex-Virginia University midfielder Andrew Wright flashed his effort wide.

Both sides came out after the break, having made no changes: and the second half started in exactly the opposite fashion as to the 1st. Very flat- and with the very little sizeable action.

Unsurprisingly, given that: it felt like a lifetime till the next opportunity. Another 17 minutes to be precise.

It was Peter Bore on the right again: he cut inside with his pace, but his low, fizzing drive was comfortably saved by ex-Bottesford keeper Slocombe.

Then: with just 20 minutes left, the visitors came whiskers away from leading. Another cross was whipped wickedly in, and after Connell made a bombing run: his head flashed only incheas wide of the post, when all in the ground must have thought it was in.

The Iron were clearly being overrun and playing for penalties, but that didn’t stop Grimsby from creating chances.

Slocombe was forced into a great save from an ever active Connell, who managed to hook a chance out of nothing. But was denied by an alert keeper.

Then from the resulting corner with just 8 minutes left, it was chipped to Bore: but he could only send his effort crashing over the bar.

And that was the last real chance of the game: and it was to be decided with penalties.

The Iron of course have good memories of penalties. There was the victory over Lincoln this time last year in the very final of this competition, and the beating of MK Dons in the play-off semis.

Grimsby won the toss and decided to kick first.

Connell stepped up and acored, as did Andy Wright to equalise.

Then Steven Watt gave Town the lead again, but Michael Collins equalised to make it 2-2.

Then, the first error. Samuels lashed it over the bar, and with Rory Coleman scoring: the Iron led 3-2. The home crowd smelt victory.

Michael Coulson made it three all to give the Mariners hope: but Godden kept his cool to give the Iron the lead agin. 4-3 to the Iron it stayed.

Then, needing to score to keep them in: ex-Iron left-back Lee Ridley stepped up, but could only see his effort hit the bar!

And the Iron were victorious!
Join the Forum!
Nigel Adkins:
When speaking about tonight’s win to Iron Player, he described the very young side as ‘resilient’ and said;

‘It was great for the development for the players, and I felt the young lads played ever so well in the first half’

Trent McClenhan
When speaking about the trialist, the gaffer also said;

‘He’s very composed on the ball, has good experience and has played at a higher level.’

‘It was great to have an opportunity to look at him and we’ll have to sit down and digest whether or not to take it further.’

Join the Forum!
Like what you read today?

Then why not debate this issue and many others on the forum with like-minded and friendly Iron fans!

It’s quick and easy to do so, just click the link below and you’re away!